Saturday 22 April 2017

Birthday weather



The peculiarities of the British climate always strike me at this time of the year.

For us April is the season of birthdays. Mine is in the early part of the month; the Fox’s & his father’s are at the end of the month.

The weather at my birthday is always dry, usually sunny, as it was this year. By the time we get to the Fox’s it’s usually cold, wet & miserable. It’s even been known to be under thick snow. I gather from the weather forecast, it sounds as though it will be another such birthday at the end of the month.

You would have thought the weather would steadily improve as summer starts to appear on the horizon, but no, there always seems to be this fall-back to more cold & miserable weather. I can certainly see the point of the old saying, “Never cast a clout till May is out”. I’m certainly not going to do so, nor am I about to put tender bedding plants out for a while yet. I’m waiting until I’m more confident that the frosts have gone for good for this winter & I’m certainly not that yet, even if the swallows are back.

No comments: