Friday 8 July 2011

Done at last

I seem to have been on the go all morning without  achieving much. I was still in the midst of breakfast when the phone rang. Helen, a friend whose birthday it is today. Just ringing to thank us for our card & to catch up on news.  The call was cut short as neighbours arrived at her house.

During the night last night, the Fox got Big Ears (the slow cooker) out & prepared a bolognese sauce. (My stomach rumbled every time I woke up in the night as the smells wafted into our bedroom.) My part of the meal is the fresh tagliatelle to accompany it. So I got started on the pasta. I had only got the flour, egg & tomato puree - we're going rose today -  to the stage of forming a ball, when the phone went again. Helen once more to complete the earlier conversation.

Eventually I got back to the pasta. Kneaded it. Left it to rest while I made a quick mug of tea. Then rolled & cut the pasta. It is now, at nearly 11.30am, finally on the bathroom towel rail drying out. Still the main thing is that it will be ready for this evening & it will be. Now I can relax over another mug of tea & sit down properly this time, for the first time all morning.

We're off to the Pub this afternoon. We had hoped Helen, our friend, would be coming to celebrate her birthday but it seems her family has other ideas. Some of the others will be there - PD, Al the gardener, Mrs B (assuming she can get her grandson settled into his new student accommodation in time) & maybe some of the others. Just a pity Helen can't make it. It would have been nice to see her again.

No comments: