Monday 11 July 2011

Changing colours

My current source of fascination is the bergamot growing in the herb garden. It's a tall plant so stands up high amidst the parsley, oregano & thyme. What really intrigues me is how the colour changes as the flower ages. At first it opens as a deep purply wine colour. It slowly changes into a more red colour, eventually becoming a deep pink colour. By the time it has matured it's almost the same bright shade as the neighbouring echinacea. That flower just fades as it grows older, turning almost a browny pink.

Most living creatures seem to pale as they age. It has to be admitted I started down the slope of greyness at a very early age. I had some grey in my hair at 4! It surprises me to realise skin pales too. Now, when I go for new spec frames, I'm aware how overpowering a strong colour can look & yet once I wouldn't have hesitated. 

No comments: