Thursday 2 June 2011

Wafting through the night

As some of you will have noticed the Fox has been overcome by the urge to write his blog again. Two no less in as many days. Yesterday I was busy ironing so didn't go on-line. I was told he'd written something. About the love doves, I was told when I pressed him. Oh well, that had been one of the subjects I had intended to write about. The other was the Pub conversation about "Great British Menu" (BBC2) & the support there for Lisa. I see the Fox has now pipped me to that.

So instead the theme of this blog will be my night's sleep. 

Yesterday afternoon we got into Lancaster & while there, among other things, we bought the ingredients for a beef stew to be cooked in the new slow cooker, the first experimental dish done this way. As the stew had to cook for around 10 hours the Fox decided to cook it last night, while I was in bed.

Every time I woke up during the night, tantalising smells wafted through. (It's just as well the Fox had closed all the intervening doors. I hate to think what it would have been like otherwise.) And my stomach rumbled. Even when I got up this morning, the cooker may have been switched off, but the aromas still hung around. Indeed I just felt the pot & it's still warm.

It smells delicious. I'm just hoping it will taste as great as it smells. It certainly has had my tummy rumbling today. Breakfast was a necessity to quieten the rumbles a bit.

We've just got to make a couple of jackets potatoes to accompany the re-warmed up stew this evening. There's loads of vegetables in the stew so we shouldn't need anything more. The Fox is contemplating adding a couple of dumplings to add a little extra interest - good winter food for June! Mind you I'm not sure if that isn't just what you need. We've still got the heating on for part of the time!

No comments: