Tuesday 21 June 2011

Different

The pasta is hanging on the towel rail to dry. When we were having the new bathroom done, & were on the hunt for a towel rail, the shop assistant seemed to think I was nuts when I suggested the towel rail needed to be long enough to hang all the tagliatelle on to dry. (We ended up with a double rail to be sure.) Clearly this is not a usual use of a towel rail.

Equally when the joiner came to put the finishing touches to the airing cupboard door, he had difficulty in understanding the strands of something dangling on the towel rail were for eating. I'm not sure if he's the sort of person to be so adventurous as to eat pasta but clearly it came out of packets or tins if he did.

Personally I find something quite therapeutic about making pasta. All that kneading gets rid of any pent-up aggression - not that I'm feeling any today. There's something quite calming as the dough stretches this way & that. Then there's time for a bit of a sit down while the dough rests a bit - very welcome to my knees. After that there's the rolling, cutting & hanging.

This afternoon the Fox is going to do a bolognese sauce from scratch. The minced beef mixture will plop away for a couple of hours, hopefully tenderising in the process. 

PD is a bit put out that we're not going to the Pub today. We went yesterday &, at the moment, I don't think the Fox is up to two days in a row driving the 8 mile or so return trip. Unfortunately we won't be able to get over again this week. Wednesday is grandchildren day for PD. Thursday is Farmers' Market. (I'm hoping to get the salt marsh lamb I was unable to buy last time as that stall was absent.) Friday sees me at the doc's. I've settled for the substitute doctor. To see my own GP would have meant another wait of 3-4 weeks & I've already waited that long for this appointment. So much for building up a relationship with your GP!

No comments: