Friday 24 June 2011

Silence falls

Wednesday morning turned into a very strange morning. Having done my bit of food preparation (just par-boiling some potatoes to saute later on), I settled down to the ironing. Or so I thought I was going to do. I got the board & chair out, sorted the washing into piles according to temperature of iron, filled the iron with water, put the plug in & prepared to switch on. All this had been done with the radio on for a bit of company. Suddenly all went silent. I tried switching the iron on but no light appeared. I had a go at putting the kettle on, no light.

My next instinct was to check the fuse box. I could only see one switch that was downward pointing. I tried to flip the switch to get a very loud alarming noise. I hastily put the switch back to where it was. 

So, no electricity. So what should I do with my morning? Ironing was off for the immediate. I went into the lounge & started some embroidery - I'm in the midst of embroidering a tablecloth. Between every stitch I looked over to the radio but no light appeared.

After a while it struck me just how silent the world was. So many household sounds you never notice except by the absence. Without electricity the fridge no longer hummed. The ventilator no longer whirled. No radio sounds. Nothing even came through the walls of our semi from next door. All was silent. 

It suddenly occurred to me I could go on the laptop & write a blog on the theme of silence. After all the laptop has a battery. I got it out & was just about to switch on when it dawned upon me I couldn't go on line. The tower for wireless connection is powered by electricity. I packed the laptop away again.

Once more I was back to silence. Midday arrived. I was just trying to decide whether it was wise to open up the freezer to get some chorizo, prawns & peas out to thaw for the evening meal, when the Fox turned up. He immediately went to the fuse box, threw the same switch I had tired, no rude noise, just power. What a relief! 

I just can't understand why I couldn't do the same when I'd tried earlier. I'm telling myself maybe at the time I'd tried there was indeed a power cut. There does seem to be some sort of roadworks around the corner & everywhere had seemed more than usually quiet. Maybe that had caused the trip switch to trip. I'd just tried too early when indeed there was no power. But if that was the case, how had it had the power to make that alarming noise? It's all a mystery to me. I'm just glad to be back to normal again, with everything working once more.

No comments: