Saturday 25 June 2011

Back to the garden

A heatwave is being predicted. All I can say, is that so far we've just had rain. It does seem warmer. I've managed to cast off one woolly, but the second is definitely staying on for a while yet. Still I'm telling myself it will do the garden good.

When Al, our gardener, came earlier this week, I asked him whether it would be possible to divide one of the astilbes & transfer some of it into the bog garden. The hydrangea does keep flowering every year, but it also dies right down to the ground. I can't see there's any hope of it becoming the 6ft shrub it was advertised as, & for which I left plenty of expansion room.

Al did as I asked. He didn't enjoy digging the hole in the bog. The soil(?) just dragged at the spade, almost sucking it down. The whole ground around vibrated & he felt himself slowly sinking in. And that was after very little rain this month! I did ask him if he thought I should water in the plant. He didn't think it would be necessary. The ground was just so wet. 

Every day since it has rained part of the day. The astilbe has perked itself up. It looks very happy in its new home. And we have the delight of its pink flowers to gladden our eyes. Great. And at no extra cost, too.

No comments: