Friday 3 June 2011

Something lurking in the hedge

I scrape the new potatoes this morning to a great deal of cheeping.  I progress to par-boiling the potatoes & putting the meat loaf together ready to bake this evening. As I sit waiting for the potatoes to complete cooking I become aware that the cheeping seems to be coming from the hedge behind the greenhouse. I then notice, despite the windless day, the hedge keeps having little eruptions of movement. When I go to the compost bin near the greenhouse I do contemplate having a look into the hedge but my very presence going by, brings instant silence & stillness. I decide against it. From the position the movement & sound emanates from, I suspect the wood-pigeons now have young. Congratulations to them!

Alas the same can not be said to poor Lisa Allen. Not a single course of hers got through to the People's Banquet. I have to admit though, from the shortlist the judges had made, they did make the same options I would have made. The dessert is the only course I may have differed. For me the popcorn barrow was too bitty &, on the whole, not the flavours that appeal to me. I would have gone for the meringues with the raspberries. Still, I can see the barrows were fun &  that was what the banquet is supposed to be all about.

I gather we're all supposed to be partaking of the Big Lunch for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee next year. I can't see us being very bothered by it. Lunch is not a meal that greatly appeals to us. We don't usually eat it. And if we do, the most we want is a couple of sandwiches, a bowl of soup or a jacket potato. I don't expect the rest of the street could be bothered either. They didn't for the Royal Wedding earlier this year so I don't expect they will for this occasion either. We're certainly not going to propose it.

No comments: