Thursday 6 January 2011

A woodland visitor

I'm just settling down to my mug of tea, when the Fox suddenly asks "What's that?" I look out of the kitchen window into the garden in the direction he is looking. What indeed.

I hastily find my glasses. Low down, half hidden behind the twiggery, a flash of crimson is moving. My immediate thought is that it's going to be a goldfinch, with its red clown's face. But no, it is too big a bird.

The binoculars & bird book are hastily found.

By this time the shape of the bird is more apparent. The movement of its head instantly makes us realise it's a woodpecker. It's pneumatic drill of a beak is pecking away at the cracks in the tree's bark.

Now we only have to decide which woodpecker.

It obviously isn't a green one. The back is definitely black & white. Eventually it moves around a bit. Suddenly there's a second flash of crimson. This time it's on its rump. It has to be a great spotted woodpecker. It certainly is a bit bigger than a starling but smaller than a blackbird.

In the summer I remember hearing the rat-a-tat-tat of a woodpecker drumming somewhere. Is this the culprit? I wonder. Our garden is full of trees & shrubs. They've clearly encouraged this woodland visitor to come a-calling. We feel privileged & touched by a little bit of nature's magic. It's the first time either of us have ever seen a woodpecker. Magic indeed. I hope he comes again.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

I'm quite envious now!