Sunday 30 January 2011

Counting birds

So yesterday I spent a while trying to watch & count the birds. It wasn't the most successful effort.

Part of the problem was that it was a really bright day. I sat at the window in the kitchen door, trying to look out. In the glass I could see clearly reflected the marg tub & shiny glasses drying on the draining board. Then there was the reflection of the socket on the wall, not to mention myself, & the light green cardigan I was wearing. I had to sit at an odd angle as otherwise I was blinded by the brilliant yellow ball in the sky, known as the sun.

As for the garden, it was either brilliantly lit or blackest shade. The contrast was difficult to adjust to. So often I saw a bird fly into the shade. By the time my eyes had adjusted to the extreme black the bird had flown away again. Or else I just caught sight of some movement, but again by the time my eyes had adjusted to the contrasting light, the source of the movement had disappeared. Frustrating to say the least.

The last straw came when a smoky grey cat appeared. Instantly all the birds flew off.They were just returning when a black & white cat appeared. The birds flew off again. By this time I just gave up.

So this morning, I sat & listened to "The Archers" omnibus, a glass of pineapple juice at hand, bird book & binoculars at the ready. It's a much less contrasty day today. I enjoyed my sit and did my counting. It would have helped if the starlings sat still instead of constantly moving. I did eventually manage to count 24 of them, all of whom I'm confident of being separate individuals. Our bird tally has gone up on the goldfinches this year, but down on house sparrows. Most days the latter appear regular as clockwork but not this weekend. C'est la vie!

Meanwhile, on another front, we've organised our overnight stay & parking at Manchester airport. £54.90 for the two of us as opposed to over £100 return taxi fare. A bargain.

But bad news has also come. All day yesterday the Fox felt under the weather. His voice sounded rough. He suspected flu on the way. By the time he came to bed last night, he'd worsened & concluded he had a bad cold. We're supposed to be going out for the end-of-the-month meal at Ricky's Cantonese restaurant tomorrow. It's beginning to look as though we might be crying off, even though I've booked the table in my name. Still I'm sure the others will enjoy the meal.

No comments: