Monday 3 January 2011

New residents

A huge sycamore tree stands in our neighbours' garden, by the dividing fence. As it is deciduous, it is bare at the moment. 

While sipping my mug of tea at the dining table, for one moment I thought it had regained its leaves. Bear in mind I'm short-sighted & wasn't wearing my glasses at the time. I finally realised the dark leaves was in fact a flock of starlings. They've obviously decided this is a good vantage point to watch out for the arrival of food in any of the gardens around.

Usually this tree is the domain of the magpie The collared doves did try to nest there one year but have since decided there's more peace in the evergreen tree on the other side of the lawn. There was just too much harassment from the magpie who was highly protective of his own burgeoning family. So the status quo has remained for several years now. The magpie won't be too happy with all those starlings, that's for certain.

No comments: