Tuesday 25 January 2011

Dilemmas of disability

The rain is back. It didn't stay away for long.

My mind is still going over the question of the problems & barriers that come with disability. Over the days of pondering I'm coming to the conclusion that at least some of the problems are related to lack of self-confidence in the disabled person himself.

Undoubtedly this is symptomatic of some mental health problems. Fears, often quite irrational, take over. I know when I am in a bad state I get very anxious about being in company as I dread making a fool of myself by bursting into tears for no obvious reason & everyone fussing around me. I hate being the centre of interest in that way & yet I don't feel I can control the tear ducts at such a time.

Many people I have spoken to are anxious about venturing out in a wheelchair or with a walking stick. They feel conspicuous, dread that they will be pitied, be regarded as an eyesore, be somehow a lesser being. And yet the reality is that few people even notice.

I equally suspect people who lose their sight probably can manage to get around, especially in familiar surroundings, yet are nervous to try to do so without someone to encourage, support & guide them. 

There is also a proportion of the disabled population which can't, or won't, learn. This may be the result of dementia, for example. It may be they like being fussed over. They may just find it easier that way.

Whatever the reason, I don't see why those who do their physiotherapy exercises thoroughly, learn how to use aids, learn to lip-read, keep going through the pain involved in so doing, should be penalised for their determination, courage & overpowering need for independence. To me that just seems unfair & leaves you wondering why you should bother.

Still, all of this is going to be put to one side as I turn my attention to more pressing matters such as sorting out some holiday insurance for our trip to Cyprus, & some overnight accommodation & parking at Manchester airport. 

We're even beginning to think the holiday might be fun now it's becoming more of a reality!

No comments: