Thursday 13 January 2011

A bit of a change

I was going to write about our visit to the new Sainsbury's which opened not long before Christmas. We thought we'd leave it until the initial stampede would be over. The Fox has pre-empted me in writing about this visit. As you can tell, we weren't overly impressed & will be continuing to use Morrisons most of the time. If nothing else the latter is nearer to us. I suppose part of the problem with Sainsbury's is unfamiliarity. It always takes so much longer when you go to an unknown shop.

As you will also know, the Fox's beef curry was excellent. It slipped down a treat. 

So today, by way of contrast, we're having fish. Mackerel to be precise. I've just filleted it. I have more confidence in my own filleting abilities than in those of most fish counters/shops. It's easier to locate any remaining escapee bones if you start with the whole fish. The exception being when you are talking about a really big fish, especially when it has big bones eg cod or salmon.

I always think mackerel is such a beautiful fish to look at, with it's electric blue & navy, almost black, striped back. The underside looks so silvery by comparison. I'm not doing anything fancy - just a covering of crumbs & cheese before baking in the oven with some cherry tomatoes & capers. Hopefully it will be good. It will certainly be a change.

No comments: