Monday 1 November 2010

Worth the wait

When we went shopping on Wednesday, the Fox decided to buy me some flowers, some lilies. All the bunch was closed. Since then we've watched eagerly, & increasingly anxiously, for some sign of them opening up. Nothing. The water remained crystal clear. Some of buds gained a translucent orangeness, only really noticeable as the back light streamed through the bud. We were beginning to think they would never open up.

Then, on Saturday night, the first four flowers came into full bloom. Suddenly there were these majestic apricot coloured blooms. Magnificent. Throughout yesterday, we stopped to wonder & gaze on their glory.

I noticed things I hadn't observed before. I never realised before the petals of the flower were arranged as two three-petalled rings. Nor that the pale red dots on the petals are in fact slightly raised, hairy, almost barbed. This morning I became aware of a tear drop of something on the stigmas. They glisten in the bright morning light of today.

The colour of the pollen on the anthers is a rich paprika red, a glorious contrast with the paler yellowy orange of the petals.

All in all it's been a worthwhile wait. Now I eagerly look forward to the other buds opening up. I hope the open flowers last long. Each day it's wonderful to see the changes & rejoice in them.

No comments: