Wednesday 3 November 2010

Excitement & colour

We didn't get over to Carnforth. The rain just kept coming down. So, today, we're not off to Wigan. Instead we will have to do some food shopping. Boring but essential. So far, today has just been showery, a bit of an improvement.

I'm digging out some fish for dinner, sea bream, from the freezer. It will make a change. I'm thinking of just dusting it in flour & simply frying it, meuniere style.

Meanwhile the rain & gloom is beginning to get to us. We find our minds turning to warmer climes & once more contemplating a holiday. I am seriously beginning to think two holidays a year are becoming essential - one to relax & one to get us through the winter cold, wet & dark. The winter already seems long to me & we're still in November!

I see, or rather hear, some people are trying to bring some excitement to life with bangs & shooting stars as fireworks are set off prematurely. Often in the middle of the night, around midnight.

But my excitement & colour is still being provided by the lilies. Now five have opened. On the petals of the older ones a slight dusting of paprika has appeared - a little spot of falling pollen I suspect. The delicacy of the colour is a joy to behold.

Many moons ago I was a bridesmaid for my Cousin Pat. Our dresses were just such a colour. Come the time of our wedding the only bought flowers in my bouquet were some roses of similar colour. The rest of the flowers were provided by my mother from our garden. My bridesmaid, a trainee horticulturalist, made up the bouquets.This shade of apricot remains a delight for me, only enhanced by such happy associations.

No comments: