Monday 15 November 2010

A quiet morning

It is with some relief I greet the bright sunshine of the day. It may be freezing but it is also stunningly beautiful. It does one's spirits good.

So far all I seem to have done is get a couple of loads of washing done & hung up in the laundry room to dry. I've put out a few scraps of chicken skin onto the bird table once more. The magpie seemed to enjoy his helping yesterday.

I've prepared dinner. That means I've rolled out the pastry & cut out the vol-au-vent shapes ready to go in the oven this evening.. I've scraped & parboiled the new potatoes to saute later. I've peeled the sprouts. I've just got the leftover chicken & half tin of condensed chicken soup out of the freezer to thaw. In case you hadn't guessed it's chicken vol-au-vents tonight.

I'm still going down the freezer. It's the puff pastry that is the most urgent to use up but the chicken is of similar vintage so I thought I'd combine the two.

Next time I get to the shops it will be a big shop day & we will once more return to pre-planned & budgeted meals. In the meanwhile it's quite fun to discover what oddments can be put together to use up. As you maybe realise by now, we're not great believers in binning the smallest scrap of edible food. There has to be something that can be done with it, even if it's only to feed our avian friends.

No comments: