Monday 22 November 2010

A good morning

It's been a good morning so far today. Maybe it's partially just because I managed a good night's sleep last night & so feel up to appreciating the day. The relief of no stomach or toe cramps is immense.

I was up before 8am. What a morning! The sky was a brilliant, luminous blue with hints of underlying yellows & pinks. This is what a winter's morning should be like, not the grey wet ones we've had so many of lately.

After my wash & scrub up, followed by my breakfast pile of pills washed down with a mug of tea, I set off on my main task of the day - preparing dinner. Today we're having homemade meatballs in goulash sauce with homemade fresh pasta.

I've not made fresh pasta for ages. It's just been impossible to buy the right grade of flour locally. But last week, we found Morrison's has started to stock it. We grabbed a bag & hastily replaced the packet of mass produced dried fettuccine on the shelf.

I love making my own pasta. I find the kneading relaxing, quite therapeutic. There's even a chance for a bit of a rest before moving on to the job of rolling & cutting the pasta into shape.I've no broom handles to hang the moist pasta on to dry so I use the towel rail in the bathroom. It quickly dries there when the heating is on, as it was earlier on this morning.

While it dried I got on with the meatballs. They are now sitting in a paprika-spiced tomato sauce ready for the oven to automatically go on this evening. It should be good.

I've even remembered to get some cheese out of the freezer to have afterwards. It should have plenty of time to thaw out & get to room temperature.

All that remains is to find a good bottle of red wine to wash it all down with.

I'm pleased by the way it has all gone. I feel I've achieved something & enjoyed myself in the process.

No comments: