Sunday 21 November 2010

Explanations & dreams

Readers of the Fox's blog will already know we've been having a very tiring & disruptive time of late. My problems have not been helped by lack of sleep. I've been going through a patch of stomach pains and/or toe cramp that lasts from about 1-6am every night, not conducive to sleep at all. The doctor has finally agreed with me that it is probably a reaction to my medication & I'm now trying something different. Hopefully it will suit better. I have since managed one good night's sleep at least, though last night was once more a problem. He did give me some muscle relaxants to ease the problem if it should begin, which I tried last night. At least the pain only lasted an hour or so instead of the majority of the night. He reckons things should settle down with time & the change in medication. Either way I'm to go back in the New Year for a check-up.

Meanwhile we've had yet more bad news. A friend from the days we lived in Arnside (we moved here in 2000) we discovered is also suffering with cancer. Her outlook is more optimistic. It's been discovered in its early stages. She's currently getting chemotherapy. Unlike Jean, Ellie is reacting badly to the chemo, suffering a lot of nausea. They're starting a new treatment soon. She'll also be having radiotherapy as well as chemo. I do hope all goes well for her. She certainly sounds in good spirits & getting a lot of family support.

Apart from that we've been trying to sort out holidays. I'd really like to visit Brunei, land of my birth, but trying to find a operator to take us seems nigh impossible. We have found a cruise that stops there. It sounds a fascinating trip, starting at Hong Kong, visiting Japan, China, the Philippines, Borneo, Bali, Indonesia, before ending at Singapore. The only problem is that it is at the beginning of Feb 2011 & there's not really the time to organise jabs etc. We'd also like to know the results of the Fox's hospital trip about his continuing & worsening tinnitus, & to get my medication once more on n even keel. February is just too soon.

The company does another cruise in Feb 2012, the only problem with that one is that the itinerary doesn't appeal so much to us. It will be from Singapore to Brisbane. We don't particularly want to go to Australia again at the moment. If we were going to do that we would prefer to just go to Australia, see the Great Barrier reef perhaps. And this cruise means a lot of days just at sea, which we suspect we will find rather tedious.

So we're still no more decided on the holiday score. We'd certainly like to see the price for the new bathroom we're hoping to install next year, & see how all the government cuts are going to affect us, before we commit to such an expensive holiday. If benefits are hit badly we will not be going.

I hoping this coming week is going to be more settled. I could do with a quiet week. The only consolation is the return in working order of our radio. Doing without that, for me, has been harder than doing without a TV! A month is too long.

No comments: