Tuesday 16 November 2010

Oddities

There are times when I feel I'm getting food obsessed. I suppose it's partially because it is one of the few practical things I still achieve most days. Work, other household chores apart from the washing & ironing, have all been abandoned as too much these days. But food.... I continue with that, I suppose, because I enjoy it so much. It gives me so much satisfaction to put an interesting & exciting meal on the table, to be able to sit down & eat it with the Fox & friends, accompanied by a bottle of wine & good conversation.

So it is today I've just spent the morning preparing a square parcel of puff pastry - the last of this batch in the freezer - & filled it with a turkey curry mixture. It is all ready to be egg-washed & baked in the oven this evening. It's a recipe I'd forgotten I even had, it's so long ago since we last made it. It should be something different. We're having it with peas & saute potatoes.

Yesterday, while I sat waiting in the car as the Fox popped to the jewellers - my watch needed a new battery or so we thought - I was struck by an odd sight in a shop window nearby. It was a laundrette. They had hung a washing line across & scattered some very odd articles of clothing on it, mainly underwear. So there was a bra for a lady of large size, something like a 50D. Next to that was a pair of pants. The elastic had given up, but again the lady it was made for must have been 30 stone plus. Then came a very flimsy sheer thong, minuscule by comparison. There was a well-boned corset there too. As I say, a very odd selection of items to grace a window.


No comments: