Monday 8 November 2010

The challenge ahead

The sun didn't last long. Yet again I woke up, opened my eyes, thought it was so dark it had to be the middle of the night to realise it was already 8.15am & time to be up. These southerners who say don't bother to change the clocks in spring & autumn clearly don't know how dark a winter morning can be in the north. Heaven knows what it must be like in the north of Scotland!

I told myself to get up. I have a challenge ahead of me for today. What is that challenge I hear you ask. Somehow a meal for two has to be made
with one chicken thigh. The Fox's reaction was to go to the butcher & buy some more. But, to my mind, the whole point of using up the things in the freezer is not to go buying yet more.

So, what have I decided to make? Chicken vol-au-vents. I'm proposing to cut the thigh into fairly small pieces, fry them, add some flour & milk to make a white sauce which I will flavour with a bit of curry powder French style. All of this mix will then go into some vol-au-vent cases & be served with chips & peas. Should be good & satisfying.

PS Hasn't it been a quiet bonfire night? Around here we've had very few. A sign of the recession really hitting home & people's pockets?

No comments: