Tuesday 1 June 2010

An escape

Some things got done yesterday. Not as much in the garden as I'd hoped, but nonetheless important things. After a further couple of hours on it, I finally finished the first draft of my Disability Living Allowance form. Now all that needs to be done is to read through it, make sure I've not made too many gaffs, fine tune it a bit & copy it all in to the actual form. I'm hoping the Fox will help & make sure I've not made too many boobs.

I always dread this form, partially because it involves trying to be realistic about how much my health has deteriorated in the last three years, partially because the actual money involved is an important part of our income. But above all because I know apparently simple questions are usually traps. Your answers seem to be read seeking excuses to not give you the money, rather than to gain a clear picture of how your disability affects your daily life.

Still, the worse is done now. I hope.

In the afternoon we were out in the garden. The tomatoes, onions & some more potatoes all planted. They are now being divinely watered in by all the rain we've had this morning.

As for the meal, it was a great success. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. It succeeded in bucking up a few waning spirits. In our absence both Fran (a badly sprained & infected ankle) and Mrs B (an ear infection that caused vertigo) have not be so well. Den was the only quiet one, but I think that was just because he's anxious about Fran, his wife of just 7 months. Helen, MK's widow, enjoyed her holiday on her own in Cyprus. She's come back looking more relaxed & less tired than she has been for a while. Linda, Dave C's widow, bubbled cheerily away. She's planning a holiday soon - two weeks away, the first week by herself for the first time, the second joined by family.

Life goes on. By the time we left the restaurant everyone seemed in good cheer, their worries left behind. And we all need that escape from time to time.

No comments: