Sunday 13 June 2010

A change from the norm

It's finally done. All that remains is to get the form posted off tomorrow & then await the results. It's a weight off my mind. Maybe now I'll be able to relax a bit, sleep a bit better & generally get over my holiday.

Yesterday we had, for us, an unusual vegetable with our roast chicken. The veg was roast butternut squash.

Squashes never appeared in my childhood - except the liquid type you dilute. The only time you really saw them around was at Halloween & then with funny faces cut out of them & candles burning inside them, definitely not something to eat. And that was more a pumpkin shape. Yet today butternut squash, in particular, has become quite an in vegetable.

This is not the first time we've had them. Indeed I did once make a velvety butternut squash soup once.

What always surprises me is just how hard they are to cut open when you are preparing them. The flesh is so solid. Yet when the vegetable is cooked it becomes so silky soft & sweet tasting. You can see why the Americans use the same family of vegetables to make pumpkin pie, a dessert. Maybe it's that very sweetness that deters me from using them more often, that causes me to think of them
not as a vegetable but almost as a fruit. Certainly the bright orange colour is very attractive. It made a very acceptable change from the norm.

No comments: