Monday 14 June 2010

Flowers

As the washing was spinning around, I had a look at the Fox's veg. The potatoes have been growing taller by the day. But what caught my eye was the Black Russians, they're budding up with the first signs of yellow between the sepals. The other variety of tomato is not showing many signs yet, but we are reassured. We had been wondering if the tomatoes were progressing at all. I'd been telling myself they had bushed out & were taller but the Fox didn't believe me. But now we have definite signs of progress in some at least.

This morning saw me bringing in some yellow irises that had been blown over in the winds over the weekend. It reminded me I hadn't told you about our more floral impressions in France.

We had been to Provence once before but that was to near Avignon and at the end of April/beginning of May. On that trip I came back with a greater appreciation of Van Gogh's "Irises". At the time they were blooming in every hedgerow.

This time the image was Monet's "Poppy Field". Their red blooms cheered every patch of grass, bringing a smile to both our faces.

My other floral memory I've already mentioned, the delicate pale yellow snapdragons growing in rocky crevices especially along the Vallee du Loup.

No comments: