Wednesday 2 June 2010

Drought!

The day is finally beginning to brighten up. When I've done this, I'm intending to get out into the garden. I'm hoping to tidy up the front garden & plant a second Basil Bush out. The old one is reviving a bit. I think it was suffering drought rather frost, but I bought some more last week just to make sure we should have plenty for the summer months. We do enjoy Italian food & it doesn't taste the same without a bit of basil, not to mention oregano. The latter is threatening to overwhelm the rest of the herb garden.

Mentioning drought I was amazed to hear that we in the north west are being asked to try to conserve water. It doesn't seem that long ago we had flooding in Cockermouth & Workington. Most of the winter we've not been able to reach the greenhouse & compost bin for our extra lake. I can only assume folk in Manchester must drink an awful lot of water! Or is it the number of baths & car washes?It certainly doesn't say much for the water authority's ability to conserve water. Plenty has come down over the winter months.

I accept by all accounts April & May have been dry. I gather while we were away no rain fell here. I can believe our friends when I saw just how dry the garden was when we got home. Basil Bush & our sweet peas have both virtually dried out & withered. We're very glad we didn't plant the veg out before we went. Al, our gardener, had agreed to give them a good water while we were away, but, as he never arrived, they would have got very thirsty by the time we were back.

No comments: