Friday 4 June 2010

Trip out

I'm just back from a trip in the Mean Machine, my electric scooter. Going along the prom, my eyes were inevitably drawn across the Bay to the Lakeland fells. They looked magnificent. Quite sharp against the blue sky. I couldn't help thinking it was difficult to imagine that such beauty was the setting for so much carnage earlier in the week.

A lot of the journey I went along with a fellow parishioner, chatting as we went. We've never really talked much before, just greeted each other & passed on the sign of the peace. It seems a new priest is moving into the vicarage this week. We're having a lady priest. I gather it's caused quite a stir in the parish. The congregation doesn't like change much. I'm curious to see what happens. So is Meg, my companion.

Meg is 83, but nonetheless does her best to keep up with technology. She's a silver surfer, loves her digital camera. She's clearly anxious about her young brother, who was rushed into hospital this week. It was good to have chance to chat a bit, get to know each other a bit.

We parted our ways. I went on to the pet shop. The garden birds had just about eaten all their food. Then it was on to the fish shop for a nice bit of cod for dinner tonight.

All together a pleasant trip out.

No comments: