Monday 13 January 2020

Up with a spring to my step


I cannot express the sheer joy of being able to get up & get on with things. For the last three months, every Monday has started with a phone call to the hospital to check my bloods before knowing whether I’m fit to receive chemo. At last that is over. For the time being anyway.

It was good to have the opportunity to plan what to cook for dinner tonight. I like to know before I get up. Today I could. And I’ve just been making a Hampton Pie (a potato topped corned beef pie).

We will still be going to the hospital today. But this time it is to Orthotics so I know it shouldn’t take too long. More importantly it shouldn’t wipe me out in the way chemo has done. A Hampton Pie just needs warming up in the oven & we usually accompany it with a tin of baked beans. I’ve set the oven to start itself this evening so all we will need to do is open the tin of beans & warm them up. Easy.

Orthotics is the part of the hospital that deals with appliances, wheelchairs etc. In this case, it is about knee braces. I got two new pairs ofknee braces last spring. Since then, my knees have caused the foam rings on every one to split into two parts. One even has the metal strip down the side coming off. The fact that the braces have started to disintegrate so quickly makes the prescribers think maybe these are not the right design for me so I have to go in to see them. Fortunately I did not throw out the old pairs when the new ones arrived. Those are what I’m wearing now.

No comments: