Tuesday 14 January 2020

Thrilled


As we made our way to Lancaster & the hospital yesterday, my breath was almost taken away. I just wasn’t expecting it so early in the year, especially when I’d only been along that same road the Friday before.

What was this amazing sight? Ryelands Park was bordered with white. The snowdrops were in flower. Spring must really be on its way even if to me it seems too early. Indeed I usually regard January & February, even March, the worst months of the year.

I suppose I am aware that I’ve already picked some new season chives & parsley in the garden. I was particularly pleased to see on Friday, the hellebores in flower.

Indeed the garden doesn’t really seem to have had much of a winter sleep at all this year. It does make it a bit of a farce the council not emptying the green garden waste bins from Christmas to mid-Feb. Our bins are already full of rubbish.

Now I look at the bulbs in our own garden with renewed interest. When are our snowdrops going to flower? And what flowers are those green shoots? We planted just so many bulbs last autumn I cannot remember which were planted where, especially as our gardener actually put them in the ground. It’s certainly something to look forward to with eager anticipation.

No comments: