Wednesday 22 January 2020

What a difference


We went along to the club yesterday.

We were joined by our cruising friends. It is a saddening sight. As I told you before he’s now been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. Each time we see him, he seems to be greyer & shrunk a bit. It’s as though he’s giving up for all his blustering fighting talk.

The odd thing is he seem to give up as he was nearer his 80th birthday, long before he discovered he had cancer. It’s as though just reaching that age was killing him off. Admittedly I am aware part of the significance of that age is that his travel insurance would go up, possibly meaning he could no longer afford to go cruising but there are plenty of other places to visit, in this country, if nowhere else. For that matter, he could shop around the travel insurance companies & find something not that much more I’m sure.

Meanwhile his wife is getting ever tired. She has not been in the best health for years, having had back surgery over twenty years ago. The extra work running around after him, not to mention the worry, is taking its toll on her.

The family has taken to coming up most weekends to help but that doesn’t stop him seeming to be dying before our very eyes.

My news didn’t do much to help boost the morale of any of us. Still, we’re all alive and kicking at the moment & that is saying something.

In the evening I phoned a friend to tell them my bad news before the village gossip machine gave them a garbled version. She asked how I felt. I’m forced to admit I feel in exceptional good health despite an aching shoulder & knees, and constantly tingling fingers & toes. Essentially I feel full of energy, which is just as well as I suspect some gruelling treatment lies ahead. Whatever happens next I’m having a few weeks’ break from treatment to allow my body to recover from the last lot of chemo. After that I continue to wait to find out.

No comments: