Monday 30 December 2019

Results


Friday went well. At least it did once I got through the nearly hour waiting to get in. By then I had more or less convinced myself that the oncologist was delaying seeing me as he dreaded telling me bad news.

The CT scan showed the tumour has shrunk considerably and, in some ways more importantly, the cancer hasn’t spread elsewhere.

My oncologist told me they would be having a meeting soon at which the various specialities would discuss my case. It is up to the surgeon to decide if he is ready to operate yet. He may want me to have another short 6-week course of chemo first. It would be a different type of chemo. However, the oncologist sounded confident that the op will be going ahead in February 2020 without further chemo.

My present course, he told me, will finish on Jan 6. Then there will be a few weeks to get it out of my system.

My immediate reaction was great. We can have a few days away, recover our energies a bit. Then I realised I’ve now got another appointment with the oncologist mid-Jan. Presumably I will need one, too, to remove the PICC line. There will be one at least one at the Breast Clinic to talk to the surgeon. There will be an appointment for pre-op assessment. Last time I had a breast op I had to have some metal & radioactive dye inserted so that would be another. I’ve already got one for new knee braces. The Fox, too, needs another appointment with Dermatology. Although the medication he was given earlier this month did initially ease his situation, as he’s reduced the medication the eczema is bursting out with renewed vigour. With all those appointments I can see we will be too busy to go away for any length of time.

Still, today, it’s on with the present chemo. I’m relieved to say my hair is already starting to grow back. Over the weekend I washed my hair. You’re not allowed to rub it dry or use a hair-dryer. The hair is too fragile. It was lovely to move around the house & feel once more my hair bounce around on top. So much more natural. To be realistic it will still be a while before I feel can go around without my head covered by something – wig, scarf, hat – but at least I can see more wisps there. I’m heading the right direction.

No comments: