Thursday 5 December 2019

Good support


Our first Christmas card arrived yesterday. I had been intending to write my first letter that morning, as it turned out it for the couple who’d sent this card. My letter got put on one side as I stopped to read the events of their year as related in their letter to us. As it was I was distracted by the arrival of our gardener. Hopefully I’ll get around to writing my response today.

In the afternoon we popped down to our village pub. What a warm welcome! We’d just settled in when a couple of ladies who we’d often seen, half-chatted across the room to, but hadn’t seen recently, arrived.

They instantly came across to see how we were doing. They’d been worrying about us. We explained that life was being disrupted for us due to my chemo treatment. They were instantly solicitous & gave me a big hug along with good wishes for the treatment. It is nice to have the support of friends, even of casual acquaintances. We’ve not even got to the stage of exchanging names so far & yet their goodwill was so supportive. There are some wonderful people around in this world.

Their goodwill encouraged me to make a few phone calls in the evening. First was to one of our usual Monday group. His partner is in hospital at the moment. Then I rang our cruising friends. He’s still trying to adjust to the news of his lung cancer. It seems they don’t think chemo will help him much. However, they are reassured that his demise isn’t imminent. Oncology will be able to ensure he should be able to be comfortable to the end, whenever that might be, hopefully many years to come. Finally I rang the widower of one of my cousins. I’m glad to say he’s finally feels he can rejoice in having the privilege of knowing my cousin Trudy – they were married over 50 years – rather than just mourn the hole she’s left in his life. He’s being well supported by their son & daughter, one or the other of whom seem to pop over most days to check on him.

Life can be good.

No comments: