Saturday 7 December 2019

Good news


The hospital went well yesterday.

After having my blood let done at Oncology, we went along to the Breast Clinic to see the surgeon who is in charge of my treatment. When I saw him in September he was quite shocked by the size of the tumour & clearly feared there was little, if anything he could do. It was a choice, he feared, between hoping chemo could manage the cancer or operating at risk of my needing my arm amputating. He hoped chemo could shrink the lump sufficient to enable a safe operation but he was decidedly dubious.

This time, he burst into a beam when he saw no lump was to be seen. Now he is far more optimistic. He’s clearly thinking that he can safely operate come the end of Jan/Feb next year. He’ll be more certain when I have the next CT scan later this month.

Apparently the chemo I’m on is a bit experimental. They haven’t worked out just who would best benefit from it. On paper I seemed unlikely. However, everyone seems to be astounded by just how positively I’ve responded. I know I seem to have had various side effects but they are minor if it means the chemo saves my life.

Meanwhile I continue with the course. I have another 5 sessions to go. But I do so with a lifted heart & more confidence that I’m on the road to recovery.

No comments: