Thursday 25 October 2018

Change for the good?


It’s nearly time for the clocks to change. I can feel it in my bones. The mornings of late have been so dark. I hate getting up in the dark. It goes against the grain. However, I’m not that sure I appreciate dark evenings starting early in the evening, soon to become mid-afternoon. On the whole I think I prefer the dark evenings. Usually by now the weather is getting so miserable I’m quite glad to draw the curtains & shut the cold, wet & windy outside while I remain snug & cosy inside.

We’ve made two more visits to the hospital. The Fox is now in the machine for 45 seconds at a time. He’s still itchy. The blotches seem to have grown in size but they don’t look such an angry red. They remain very itchy, almost more so. We’re telling ourselves it’s still early days. He has another 6 weeks to go.

I was hoping today would be a quiet day, a chance to recover from all these trips into Lancaster. Then yesterday a great chunk fell off the sole of my shoe so today we’ll have to go shoe shopping. It’s annoying as there isn’t much wear on the soles of the shoe – after all most of the time I’m in my wheelchair – but after the best part of 20 years the manmade sole  has just dried out & fallen to pieces. I’m hoping we can find a new pair here in the one good shoe shop in Morecambe. If necessary, after tomorrow’s hospital trip, we’ll have a look round Lancaster’s shops. Maybe have a meal out while we’re at it…..

All this is making our trip to Italy seem in the far distance. We still look back on it with great affection. We’re even tempted to go again next year. Or maybe we’ll try a longer cruise. Or visit Belgium – we met some very nice Belgians from Antwerp when we were in Italy. Or perhaps it’s back to our favourite France. We’ll think on. But first we want to get the Fox sorted & itch-free or at least itch-under-control.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

All these hospital visits for the Fox's treatment are sufficient to exhaust one, certainly would me, just with the thought and effort of getting there. Hoping and praying that the end result will prove especially rewarding.

We've really been noticing the shortening of daylight hours, especially as we accompany Piper on his evening walk. Love to you both from me and my beloved OH.