Monday 15 October 2018

Appointment with vampires


I’ve just been on the phone trying to rearrange an appointment for the Fox. When he was last at dermatology at the hospital he’d been given a prescription to be filled out through a GP at our surgery to cover two months. Our GP agreed to the Fox having one month’s supplies but wanted him to have a blood test before she prescribed the rest as it might have adverse effects on his liver. We made an appointment for the blood let when we went up to the surgery to collect the medication. Now we realise he’s only got 11 pills left & the blood let isn’t until the 25th so presumably he will have to have a break in the medication while the surgery waits for the results of the blood test.

For once I didn’t have to wait too long to get through on the phone. I was 6th in the queue.

No problem they assured me. The first option they gave me was here in Heysham today. I pointed out he was at the hospital at that time.

Okay, they said. They found a cancellation at another surgery within the group, at West End, our second choice surgery. Wednesday. He’ll be at the hospital again then. We don’t know the time yet but the hospital seems more urgent. Anyhow the appointment was first thing in the morning – never a good time for the Fox. Eventually she managed to find an appointment later today in Lancaster. I took it.

It means hanging around Lancaster for a while but it is after his light treatment. I thought we could then go & have a late lunch, maybe have a look around the shops – I could do with some new trousers - & by then we can make our way for his blood let.

It seems to be appropriate that I should be thinking about blood-letting. At the moment I’m reading “The Evil Seed” by Joanne Harris. It is a tale of vampires. I think I may have read it before but it’s good enough to read a second time. I’ve certainly read a book on a similar theme set in Grantchester, near Cambridge.

I enjoy books by Joanne Harris. Some are fun like “Blackberry Wine”. Some are disturbing like “blueeyedboy”. I particularly enjoyed “Gentlemen & Players”.  She was on my mind when I was at the library this week as I had been reading her “Holy Fools” on holiday. As you know Italy has been much on my mind of late as I’ve been writing my blogs. She is sufficiently a good writer for me to read a tale of vampires, a genre I don’t usually read.

No comments: