Wednesday 20 December 2017

Pasties

I’ve just been making some Cornish pasties. Okay I admit the people of Cornwall would probably not recognise them as such. Maybe I should say “inspired by Cornish pasties” though even that is not really true as I’ve never visited Cornwall to have a genuine Cornish pasty to be inspired by, or to compare with what I make. Maybe I should just call them Beef Pasties & so avoid any controversy.

I’ve par-cooked them as I don’t like the idea of leaving raw potato, even in raw pastry, for very long out of water. By par-cooking I’m sure the potato will be fine. I’ve just given them 15 minutes in a very hot oven, enough time for the pastry to harden up. A longer cook, at a cooler temperature later will ensure the meat is fully cooked. Having done this much it also means the meal will be quicker to cook this evening.

Whenever we have these pasties it brings back memories. The recipe is on page 6 in my first hand written recipe book. We certainly had discovered the charms of these pasties early in our marriage & were a firm favourite. Part of their popularity is undoubtedly their cost. There are not many recipes I know that use just 2 oz. (50g) of minced beef  for a satisfying meal for two. In those days, that was the most we could afford to buy. The Fox still shudders at the memory of going into the butchers in Kendal to buy just 2 oz. of minced beef. He always had the feeling they looked down their noses & thought “Here we are again. The last of the big spenders.”

In these more affluent days we don’t have pasties so often, but when we do we regard them as a real treat full of nostalgia.

PS I've jsut realised I haven't told you the result of the Fox's visit to the surgery. He's now been referred to Dermatology at the hospital. He's also been given two more creams, one for his body, one for his face, and some anti-histamines.

No comments: