Saturday 23 December 2017

Christmas cheer?

All week has been the same – damp. There’s no other word for it. I believe the Irish word is mizzle. It’s something between mist & drizzle. You can’t really put up an umbrella against it as it doesn’t have a downward movement. Not that we ever use an umbrella as it’s difficult to both cover my legs as I sit in my wheelchair & avoid the Fox’s eyes as he pushes me along. The water droplets just seem to hang in the air. It’s just miserable. The dampness gets into your bones to add to your discomfort.

(One thing we have located on Clemmie is the switch for the fog lights. The village centre is literally downhill. There it is more like fog than daylight.)

To add to my miseries a filling fell out of my tooth yesterday afternoon, after our dentist had closed for Christmas. I rang the emergency number but was told I had to wait until I was in absolute agony, & between 10am & 5pm before they would see me. They could only suggest paracetamol for the pain. I couldn’t help commenting that I was taking plenty of those & stronger than that as it was. If I took any more, I’d be in hospital for overdosing. The only consolation is that they would be able to find a wheelchair accessible place to go to for treatment. I’m very gingerly eating now & hoping I can last out until Wednesday when our normal dentist reopens. Fortunately I’d planned fish until Christmas Day – yesterday crab & smoked trout, today sea bass, tinned tuna for Sunday – so the food is fairly soft to eat.

The Fox meanwhile is doing a lot better. This batch of creams do seem to be clearing most of the spots. Some new ones arrive every day but they don’t seem so itchy.

We’re both feeling very very tired. I long for the day I get up with a spring in my step. I seem to be always dragging myself up in the morning. I may have spent time in bed but I’ve been sleeping so brokenly that I feel no sense of refreshment when I finally get up. It sounds as though the Fox isn’t doing too much better.

As you can tell we’re not in the best of spirits to try to generate Christmas cheer. At least all the shopping is done so we don’t have to face those crowds any more.

No comments: