Wednesday 21 January 2015

The funeral




Yesterday was dominated by Dave’s funeral. It had come at last. It’s been hanging over us all year.

There was a good turnout – about 80 people there.

As the time approached, a stream of cars left our road. All ended up at the crematorium. We finally talked to neighbours we’ve sent Christmas cards to for years but never actually met.

It was a good service. Simple as would befit Dave - he never struck me as a man for great fuss. His life story was outlined by a friend from a model railway club he belonged to, his career by his former boss.

The service was taken by Linda, the vicar at the church I sometimes go to. Much as I’m not sure I see eye to eye with her, & indeed have just about given up the idea of attending her services, she did do a good job in this instance. I find myself wondering again whether I should give her another chance. We’ll see.

I’m hoping now our spirits may go up a bit. We’ve both been a bit low, not sleeping well. But then we’ve both felt overshadowed by this coming funeral. We’re surprised by how much Dave’s death has affected us. He’d been our neighbour for about 12 years, been a part of life’s ups & downs in that period. Maybe it is partly because it came as a last straw in a long series of mishaps, deaths & illness over the Christmas/New Year period. Now the funeral is over, maybe we can move on more positively.


No comments: