Friday 16 January 2015

Frustrated



As I looked out of the window this morning, the rain turned into snow, great flakes of snow. It didn’t last & has now all but gone.

As we’ve now all but organised our French holiday in spring – just one night on the return journey yet to organise - I’m turning my attention to the idea of Austria & Vienna in the summer.

I never realise what a difficult job it would be. We started with a trip to our local travel agency for a few brochures – hardly any. There were a couple for weekend breaks in Vienna but for Austria generally there was only one. So while we were in Lancaster earlier in the week we tried to more agencies – same result – a few weekend Vienna breaks but only one for Austria generally. I’m utterly amazed there are so few. Still, yesterday we ventured down to Morecambe library – not a single book on Austria or Vienna, just books on Western Europe. In some books Austria was covered in just 4 sides. And yet there was a vast selection of books on France, Poland, Italy Spain, Hungary etc. etc.

I find myself wondering why there should be such a paucity of information. Which way is it? Do people not want to go to Austria because they can’t find brochures to inspire them? Or is it brochures aren’t produced in this country because so few people are interested in going to Austria? Maybe Austria would have featured more in brochures if I’d been looking for a skiing holiday but we want to go August/September time. As a wheelchair user I’m not intending to try skiing.

I’m really amazed. Vienna was the centre of the Hapsburg Empire, one of the strongest forces in Europe, for hundreds of years. It therefore was the cultural centre with palaces, art, great musicians (not just Strauss but Brahms & Mozart for example), rich food. As for scenery, you just have to look at the film, “The Sound of Music”, to be stunned by the mountains & lakes. I feel it has so much potential, yet it doesn’t seem to be promoted well. Or maybe the Austrians realise what a gem of a country they have & which to keep it unspoilt for themselves.

I’ll keep looking. If nothing else I can be persistent.

No comments: