Monday 26 January 2015

The bird count



I counted the birds in our garden over the weekend. As predicted the count was low. Indeed I saw none of the smaller birds. Some hastily dashed across the expanse from one big tree in one neighbour’s garden to a shrub in another garden. The only birds were big. Our blackbird, magpie & collared dove count seem to have stayed the same. We’ve gained a couple of crows, but that’s it.

I’m trying to tell myself things should improve by next year. Then the new plants will have had chance to burgeon. By the time the garden was planted last year, things were already started to move into their dormant phase ready for winter. I’m now anticipating a great spurt with spring. Hopefully by this time next year, there will be a lot more cover for the smaller birds to hide in. I do hope so. I miss watching the antics of the tits & sparrows.

We’ve certainly planted loads of berry-bearing plants. Extra insects have already moved in. There is a wild area too. So there should be plenty of food to attract them. And that’s on top of the food we put out & the bird bath for water. I’m convinced the real problem is the lack of cover, especially for the smaller birds, for when a bird of prey goes overhead or a cat strays into the garden. That problem will only be solved with time, as the trees & shrubs bush out. I can’t wait.

No comments: