Tuesday 13 March 2012

Souping

Some time ago I remember writing that PD had given me a couple of Heston Blumenthal booklets that had come free with his newspaper. I was rather disparaging at the time.

Nonetheless, last week I had a go at his Leek & Potato Soup. I admit I did adapt the recipe a bit. He makes things so complicated that really despite the booklets being entitled "Heston's Home Cooking", the only way I could imagine doing it is to have an army of sous-chefs & washer-uppers, & more pans than our domestic kitchen could house. You also need all day minimum to tackle all the stages in the way he suggests. I've decided the only way to use the booklets is as a source of inspiration, ideas of maybe what could be done. I will also admit that it was a remarkably tasty Leek & Potato Soup, a soup I usually find bland, nondescript, too boring for words or to be worth ordering if out.

Today I'm tackling his Pea & Ham Soup. Again I'm using the recipe as a guideline rather than a route map. I'm not expecting anything like the Fox's mother's superlative Pea & Ham Soup. With garden peas rather than marrowfat peas it just doesn't stand a chance. I'm not even sure it should be regarded as the same thing. However, I am hoping to end up with something tasty.

At the moment I'm waiting for the gammon joint to cool down. The Fox cooked it in Big Ears, the slow cooker, overnight. I'm also waiting for the streaky bacon & the peas to thaw. Nearer lunchtime I'm hoping to get the soup all together. 

Today is a good day to make some soup. We're off for the weekly food shop later on so we can get some fresh bread while we're out. And when we get back all I need do is warm the soup up & spread the bread. Quick & easy. We may have a bit of cheese after, or even a pizza mid-evening. Essentially I'm regarding the soup as a main course soup. It should be substantial with a pound of peas in it along with a pound of gammon!

We'll see how it goes come this evening. 

No comments: