Thursday 22 March 2012

Lunch for a change

It's a bright sunny morning. It comes as a shock so soon after last time. We're off to the Farmer's market today. I'm hoping for sausages & a leg of salt marsh lamb. 

We're contemplating popping over to the Pub for a spot of lunch afterwards. They started a loyalty card scheme whereby one earns points on purchases which then can be redeemed on food. We should have enough points by now for couple of free lunches.

We've reluctantly come to the conclusion that the  Christmas meal we had in December was the last main meal we would be having there. The steps to the restaurant part are just too much for the Fox to get me, in my wheelchair, up & down, now that his wrist has been weakened by the stroke. I confess I've been feeling this way for several years in that I feel undignified, not to say precarious, being lifted up & down the steps anyway. Equally I'm not very happy knowing the toilets are not accessible. An hour or so in the afternoon I know I can manage without a loo, but a more leisurely couple of hours over a meal is a different matter. A bar snack we can have in the bar without having to negotiate any stairs.

Food is much on my thoughts today. When I first got up, opened the kitchen door & stumbled in, I was almost knocked over by this amazing smell. The Fox had been slow cooking a lamb curry last night, ready for dinner tonight. The smell is full of promise, a sweet spiciness with hints of cinnamon among other things. It looks a bit dry but then food tends to thicken up when it cools & turn more liquid when it is warmed up again. I also know some more liquid, ie cream, is going to added later along with some garam masala to add to the spiciness. If necessary he can always add a bit of water or stock at the same time. We haven't had a curry for a little while. This lamb korma smells just wonderful.

No comments: