Sunday 25 March 2012

In the garden

The Fox is thinking of having another go at veg growing this year. We've just ordered some more raised beds. Then we'll get some extra compost to fill them. We're also thinking of looking for some seed potatoes now, while there's still plenty of choice. However, we're not thinking of planting much as we don't want things to go amiss while we're away. For all that it's becoming incredibly sunny & warm at the moment, it doesn't alter the fact we fear frost isn't far away at night. It's also been surprisingly dry & there will be no-one around to water any new plants at an important stage of their development.  

Meanwhile I'm hoping to tidy up the herb garden & get the new plants I bought this week in the ground. The herbs that have been sitting on the kitchen window sill through the winter are being harden off a bit so they, too, will go in the ground soon. 

That just leaves Basil Bush. He seems to be particularly tender so I'm leaving him inside a bit longer before I harden him off. I'm hoping to get him out just before we go away. He's not likely to survive a fortnight inside without attention. I'll just have to hope it isn't too cold when we're away.

I've also got some nasturtium & marigold seeds to plant in the herb garden to provide a bit of extra colour. I may put some in a planter on the wall to brighten up the patio area a bit. I'll have to see how far the seeds stretch. Again I'm hoping to do that just before we go away in the hope the first green shoots will be appearing when we come home.

The busy season in the garden is upon us.  

No comments: