Sunday 11 March 2012

A bit of a treat

I've never been a great one for breakfast. Throughout my childhood, my mother would endeavour to  persuade me to have a good breakfast - cereals followed by bacon & eggs, then toast & marmalade. Throughout my childhood I resisted her urgings. The only thing I ate consistently was the toast, usually with jam. Occasionally I had a cereal phase. The only exception was when we went on holiday. That's when I discovered the joys of Manx kippers.

This pattern has continued. For many years I didn't bother with breakfast at all, but these days I have medication that tastes so awful that I really have to cover over the flavour in order to enjoy my morning mug of tea. Usually it remains just a slice of toast, these days usually with marmalade. I'm not averse to a bit of chocolate or a biscuit as an alternative if there's any hanging around. The most effort I usually make is to make a tomato/salad sandwich if we have some fresh ingredients in.

Today, though, was different. As the Fox is making a Kipper &  Egg Kedgeree tonight for dinner, I've got the task of boiling some eggs ready. I thought, as I'm doing that, why don't I put an extra egg in for once & have it for breakfast. And so I did.

I made some toast soldiers to accompany the egg - the bread is too stale for pleasure untoasted. The egg came out & into the cup. I tapped off some shell. Spoon in. Golden yolk oozed out. I happily dipped my soldiers in. Delicious. A real treat. All the more pleasurable for its rarity.  

No comments: