Tuesday 20 March 2012

In reverse

I feel my day is going in reverse. The usual pattern of my morning is breakfast, then I get on with preparing dinner if I'm in charge of the meal that day, then any other essential chores eg ironing,  only then the computer & my blog ending with a few games before settling down to my jigsaw at midday. So it seems rather strange to first go onto the computer to write my blog. 

Why this change? I'm intending to make a lamb stew today. I thought I would try, for the first time, to adapt one of my tried & tested recipes cooked using traditional methods, & try cooking it in Big Ears, the slow cooker. A stew is as good a thing as anything to try & it would reduce the amount of energy required considerably - a light bulb's worth rather than two hours of gas if I did it on the hob, or two hours of electricity in the oven.

As we won't be eating until this evening I think I might as well wait until nearer lunch-time before getting started on the food. Hence the reversal f daily activity.

I confess, though, it does feel a little disconcerting to change the normality of my existence in this way. Once the stew is under way I'll probably feel happier. I suspect it will seem oh so normal if we get to the supermarket for the weekly shop this afternoon. Not that we need much - just a bit of a top-up. We're off to the Farmers' Market later in the week to get some meat.

No comments: