Saturday 14 January 2012

A three part tale

Today the thin patina of ice of yesterday has turned into a hard crust of silvery whiteness. It was a cold. night.

Well, they've finally got back the results of the tests. No signs of internal bleeding. No sign of food poisoning or the stomach bug that's been doing the rounds here. In fact no sign of anything abnormal. So I ask the receptionist, a particularly vacant young-sounding lass, what does that mean. Do I need to make a doctor's appointment? 


"Oh, I don't know" she vaguely replied. "Are you still having problems?"

I'm forced to admit I have felt a lot better the last couple of days. 


"The don't bother," she says. 

I'm left to wonder if I stop taking the muscle relaxants before the usual time the spasms strike, would the cramps return. So last night I didn't bother taking the pills to pre-empt the spasms, and, lo and behold, the cramps did return. As it's the weekend, I've decided to take the pills again tonight but not bother again on Sunday night and see what happens. If the pain returns I'll make the appointment. If not, I'll assume whatever the cause, it's something that's passed. 

I can't help thinking of Jean, who died last November, who constantly complained of stomach pains, being rushed into hospital with them, & yet it took them over a year to diagnose that she had cancer. This lack of not knowing the cause of my pains does not reassure me & I don't want to be in Jean's position.

-----------------------------------------------

In the afternoon, after doing some shopping, we adjourned to the Pub. There was a good turn out. Most of the usual group were there. Come the evening, as we got in the car in the car park, you could see the wonderful colours of the sunset behind the trees. We set off down the slope towards the Bay, catching glimpses of the latter as we went. Having dropped PD off at his home, we decided to make our own way home along the prom. The view was fabulous. The land was a dark blue/grey. Above was a wide band of oranges & yellow, which reflected in the oh so still water in the Bay. The higher sky was a luminous ice blue.

As the road turned as a smaller bay appeared, the wet sands where the tide had receded, reflected the blue of the higher sky. The little puddles of still water reflected the oranges. Gorgeous. Everything so still - not a ripple on the water. Occasional dark blue/grey clouds drifted across the sky. Across the bay the occasional light twinkled in the houses of the villages of the Lakes, our very own land-based stars. Absolutely fabulous.

This area is famed for its sunsets and this was a stunner.
--------------------------------------------------

In the evening, after dinner, we decide to open a bottle of wine to a bit of jazz, a bit of Billie & Ella. Beforehand we had made up a marinade for the chicken we're going to roast today for dinner. I'd rubbed the spices into the bird. Although I had washed my hands thoroughly, every time I brought the glass up to my mouth, my nose picked up the smells of the sweet spices, cinnamon & ginger, from my hands. The marinade also had some clementines & garlic in. I love the smell of cinnamon. We're very curious how the chicken will work out. We'll find out this evening.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

really enjoyed the description of your sunset drive!