Sunday 8 January 2012

Familiar territory

On Friday I finally decided the time had come to see the GP. My stomach problems seem to have been steadily worsening.

So I rang up for an appointment. Our surgery uses a push button system. Faced with the options of a routine doctor's appointment or an urgent appointment, I opted for routine. After all I'd had the problem for a fortnight already so I didn't think it was really an emergency. When I got through to a real person I was told the earliest appointment was next Tuesday. I asked if there was any chance of something earlier. She asked me what the problem was, consulted her protocol & instantly said she would transfer me to the emergency line.

This came as a bit of a shock. Even more so, when I spoke to the second receptionist & explained the problem a second time. She instantly organised me an appointment half an hour later. It was that urgent!


When I did see the doctor, his conclusion was that it had nothing to do with food poisoning or a stomach bug. Instead he is confident that I am suffering from internal bleeding as a reaction to some of my medication, & so becoming anaemic. Anti-inflammatory drugs are notorious for doing this, especially if you are on them for a long time. I've been on my present ones for 10 years or so. He's given me some anti-cramping pills to keep me going until he gets the results of tests. Meanwhile if I get any worse I am to get back to the surgery IMMEDIATELY.  

Oh dear, this sounds awfully familiar. I was in a similar situation in 2000 when my then doctor was reluctant to let me go away to attend a wedding unless I promised if I felt any worse I would instantly go off to the local hospital.

Let's hope it all gets settled soon.

Meanwhile yesterday we had a day out & ventured over to Arnside, where we used to live. This was partially as a longer drive for the Fox. It's some 19 miles away. It has reassured us both that the Fox should cope with a bit further a drive after a flight if we do go away on holiday.


It was surprising to see some of the changes since we left in 2000. There's now a wheelchair accessible fine art gallery where there was once a Victorian style bank. The shop I used to work in has now been extended into the next door shop. The Pub has been extended, making it wheelchair accessible & providing an extensive restaurant part. A few familiar faces came in, though they didn't seem to recognise us.


Arnside is a very pretty village even on a grey day. We questioned whether we regretted the move. It was a matter of necessity rather than desire. But no, we have no regrets. We feel so much more at home here, even though we lived in Arnside for over 20 years. The convenience of having shops & other facilities within just a few minutes drive is great. The views across the Bay here are almost as good as those as the Kent estuary empties out into the Bay at Arnside. No, we are happy & have no desire to move back.

3 comments:

Malcolm said...

I'm pleased that you did get around to seeing a GP and hope that you find swift relief from some of the more dramatic symptoms!

The Oxcliffe Fox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Oxcliffe Fox said...

I can't say the relief has instantly arrived. Despite the pills I'm still spending a large proportion of my time curled up in agony. Still here's hoping something sorts itself out soon. The Vixen