Tuesday 17 January 2012

All straightened out

We did indeed get to the Pub. As predicted there was a colourful sunset. In some ways it wasn't as spectacular as those last week. The day itself wasn't as sharp, so the fells the other side of the bay had disappeared in a haze. As the day grew darker, inevitably this meant you didn't have the dark sharps of the fells standing out in the band between sands & heavens. The colours, too, were more muted but quite lovely nonetheless. The water had a more silvery blue tone. The tide was on its way in, so there was a fair amount of water to reflect the light. What really struck me was the band of colour. It had never occurred to me how a sunset could be like a rainbow, straightened from its arched shape, the colour bands broadened out. As the sky rose from the sands & water, it was red, then orange, yellow, green, blue,indigo. It never quite got to violet. By then it had disappeared into the blackness of the oncoming night sky. I've never really been so struck by the green band as I was yesterday.

Good news about Dave. It turned out not too serious. I was reassured when I saw him walking out of the house to the ambulance, rather than being wheeled out. I saw Fran, his wife, today. Apparently he'd had chest pains & then panicked, rather than taking a few slow deep breaths to calm down. She thinks the root cause was indigestion. She'd been out at work when the attack began, but she's reasonably confident this was the cause. Anyhow, he's staying in hospital at the moment for a few tests & observation, but he's out of pain now & she expects to be bringing him home later today. Hope so.

And meanwhile I get on with preparing our dinner. Yesterday's chicken & sweetcorn stew was a great success. The pinch of cayenne pepper the Fox added really lifted it from the mediocre. I just hope my sausage plait will be as successful. It should be as I'm using the pork & black pudding sausage meat used in our favourite sausages from our favourite stall at the Farmers' market. I'll get it all put together this morning. Then it can wait in the fridge until we get back from our food shop this afternoon. We're not doing much shopping, just a top-up, mainly tins of kippers, milk & potatoes.

No comments: