Friday 13 January 2012

Skies

As I remained so tired, despite an afternoon lie-down, & nothing would spoil, we decided to abandon the idea of the salmon & eat out for once. We just went down to our local village pub. As we went from the car, sharp cries could be heard from the woods behind. Looking that way, I couldn't help but notice the colour of the sky, gloriously streaked with purples, oranges, pinks. A plane flew overhead & even the vapour trail became a brilliant fuschia pink. Fabulous.

We seem to have had some wonderful skies lately. One night last week, we were struck by a huge, almost perfectly circular, silver disc in the sky - the moon, bigger than I think I've ever seen it in these northern parts. Within this disc, the greyness of the mountainous lunar terrain formed what almost looked like two eyes, a nose & a big smile. It was easy to understand how people came to believe there was a man in the moon.

But today we are back to brilliant blue. Everything is covered with a thin patina of frost. I'm half-contemplating that trip for the salmon but it just looks so cold. I'm not sure I fancy it, especially when I know we will have to go out later to day. The Fox's new glasses have arrived, so we will have to make a trip into Lancaster. He will be relieved to get them. He expects the others, with their temporary repair, to give up at any time & feels very restricted without them. 

No comments: