Wednesday 28 December 2011

An even longer night

The exhaustion has given way to ill-health. Yesterday the Fox got up complaining of feeling shivery despite feeling red-hot to my fingers. We decided on an early dinner. Not very early as we wanted to get back to our more normal pattern of life. The Fox barely managed a couple of mouthfuls of the tagine without complaining of it being as dry as sawdust - to me it was as moist as any slow-cooked meat tends to be. He never got started on the jacket potato. The wine he managed a glass but that was about it. He abandoned the meal & staggered off to bed.

I sat & finished off some more of my meal & the bottle of wine. Then I tried to get up. I found panic setting in as I just couldn't manage it. I contemplating phoning Lin - the mobile phone I could reach without getting up & her number is in it. I could tell her the address of one of our neighbours who is a locksmith & who I'm sure could break in the locked door without causing undue damage so she could come to the rescue.

First, I thought, one final effort. I managed to get up. I hastily tidied away the remnants of food, got changed & went to bed. It may be early but there didn't seem any point in risking again not be able to get up to go to bed without assistance. So another long night was had. This time I was in bed by 6.30pm & didn't get up until 7.30am. 

All this sleep is no doubt needed. I'm just hoping the Fox is feeling brighter when he gets up today, otherwise I can see I'm going to have to organise some emergency help from somewhere. I'm certainly not going to sit on any chair except my electric recliner/riser chair this afternoon or later. I'm not going to take the risk of getting stuck again. My health may be fine but my disability causes difficulties without the Fox's assistance. At times like this I become aware of just how much I depend on him to be able to do the simplest of things.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

just wanted to send some gentle cyber hugs to you both! You are frequently in our thoughts and prayers.