Friday 2 December 2011

Uncertainty

It's the not knowing that gets to me, the inability to plan. To some extent that is in the nature of life at all times, but usually there are certain levels of reasonable expectancy. Admittedly the levels of uncertainty have increased with disability.  You never can be sure what you will feel up to doing at a particular hour, let alone on a particular day, but I am always confident if I overdo things, the Fox will come to the rescue.

Normally I know the day before going to bed what I'm going to cook the next day. Any meat etc I will need from the freezer I get out the night before so it is thawed, ready for me to prepare in the morning.

At the moment I go to bed still unsure, my mind in a whirl of possibles. I'm reasonably confident my own cold is stable, only likely to slowly vanish from my life. My only problem would be if I manage to catch another one, eg from the Fox. The Fox's cold, though, is a different matter. It is impossible to tell how bad he is really feeling, how much of a good face he's putting on to ease my worries. Is he going to be better or worse next day?

So it is this morning I've hastily got out some cooked turkey & leftover stuffing out of the freezer in order to make some croquettes. I'm just hoping that, before my energies start to flag nearer midday as they do even at the best of times, they thaw out quickly enough for me to still feel up to combining, shaping & breadcrumbing them ready for frying up this evening . Fingers crossed. Meanwhile I have peeled the spuds & sprouts. We'll have some fresh veg at least.

I'm just longing to get to normality where the levels of uncertainly are kept within more reasonable parameters, when I can plan once more.

No comments: