Wednesday 7 December 2011

Wild

It's a wild day. It's also bin day for us. I open the curtain to see the wheelie bin leaning on our car. I go to straighten up the bin & check it's not damaged the car in its collision. No, thank goodness. Then I notice the boxes at the side have lost their lids. One I find wedged between the two boxes. A red lid. That goes on the black box for paper. I look around. The only other lids I can see flying around the road are red lids, so what has happened to the yellow lid that belongs on the green box for glass, plastic bottles, tins etc? No idea. I pick up the red lid that is doing its best to fly over the gate into our back garden & put it between our boxes. I just hope when the binmen have been, & the wind eases, I will be able to find that yellow lid. Otherwise I can see we will be having to use the wrong coloured lid for the green box.

Before now when it has been so windy, we've tried to put bricks or other weights on top of the lids, as some of our neighbours have this time. However, when the boxes are emptied, the binmen still don't put the weights back on so lids fly everywhere. Flying lids & empty boxes can be real road hazards for motorists. 

I'm relieved, with all that wind blowing, to have a curry plopping away. Just hearing it buffeting all the windows makes me feel cold. By this evening I will be well & truly ready for a bit of spice. Especially as we will have to venture out in it to do our supermarket shop, our last big one before Christmas. We also try to avoid those crowds, though obviously we will have to top up with a few more perishable items in the coming weeks.

Even as I write the binmen have come to empty the green boxes. As I hear the van I hastily get out. I spot a yellow lid without a bin which has appeared up the street. I ask the binman if he could fetch the lid as it is too far for me to walk. He kindly does. I note, as predicted, no weights are returned on top of neighbours' empty boxes. I bring the green box in. Now I just hope we've got a red lid still by the time the black box is emptied.

No comments: